History & School Grounds
The idyllic setting of St Andrew's
Travelling down our long driveway, surrounded by horses and woodland, you are truly struck by the beauty of St Andrew’s School. The main Victorian building is the beating heart of our School, with sports pitches, performing arts centre, music rooms, Pre-Prep and brand new Sports Centre with indoor pool, surrounding it. Tucked out of view is our South Lawn, with zip wire, climbing wall and adventure play area, and our many copses (including Ghost Town and Monkey Base), loved by pupils for years and home to innumerable dens.
Pupils enjoy the great outdoors as they witness red kites flying overhead, pheasants strolling along the paths, and the Head Master's dog - Polo - occasionally making an excited run for the fields.
'From small acorns do mighty oaks grow'
St Andrew's was founded in 1934 with just two staff and eight boys. RW Robertson Glasgow and W Ward Clarke were joint Headmasters when the School opened its doors for the first time on 11th May 1934. 'From small acorns do mighty oaks grow' and St Andrew's has steadily grown to its present size of 306 boys and girls.
The original Victorian Gothic building was Buckhold, an 1885 house designed by Alfred Waterhouse, which still forms the core of the School today. Over the years it has been converted and significantly extended. Additions over the years include a modern Pre-Prep, Nursery, Music Centre, Art and Design Facilities, Drama Studio, teaching block including science laboratories. Alumni include The Duchess of Cambridge, David Cornwell (aka John Le Carré), Howard Hodgkin, Adam Hart-Davis, Sir Chris Llewellyn-Smith, Sir Michael Llewellyn-Smith, Andrew Alexander, Duff Hart-Davis, Admiral Benjamin Bathurst, JKH Brunner, Emily Bevan and Adrian Liddell Hart.
Good Schools Guide “The school occupies a rather delicious gothic revival pile designed by Alfred Waterhouse. Lawns roll down to meadows and woodland, in total 54 acres of greenest Berkshire”